Friday, March 20, 2015

I'm definitely planting potatoes again this year!



Last year I had great success planting potatoes for the first time. Well, it was successful in that I actually got potatoes! It wasn't easy to GET to the potatoes and harvest them though! My garden was pretty dense and trip-worthy.

This year, I've been reading more about container gardening and possibly growing potatoes in a trash can or a chicken wire barrel. It's intriguing to think that you can dump over a container and food will just spill out. But hey, if there's a chance that I could have MORE space in the garden for other plants, and actually get as many potatoes in a container that I would in my garden plot, then it's worth a try I suppose.

I know I've had some success plating tomatoes around a structure, although I know this is a little different. My tomatoes were still free to roam some. How big can the potatoes grow if they're all crowded together in one container? Maybe I should grow smaller seed potatoes in the container so I can get more new potatoes?

mmmmm, new potatoes :) I tried a recipe recently that I can't get enough of called Crash Hot Potatoes. It's a pretty simple recipe and tastes amazing. I've also baked sweet potatoes like this, except I top them with cinnamon and sugar instead. Tasty :)

Anyway, back to the container potatoes... if anyone has ever tried this and had success, I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment